Jasminium Polyanthum in a container?

granburyflowergirl(7)March 25, 2012

I bought this 1 gal jasmine on impulse because of the smell, after 2 days in the house it is clear this plant needs to be outside (smell= too much of a good thing indoors).

I can't seem to find much about what it likes only that it can get pretty big and grows up to 6" a day in spring. I think I would like to put it in one of my big pots on the patio to grow up my pergola.

Any thoughts on whether this plant will survive in a pot outdoors in North Central Texas? The location has Northwest exposure. The pot is about 30 gallons and is already filled with gritty mix thanks to last year's failed attempt to grow passion-vine there. (Passion-vine died from caterpillar consumption so I'm not worried about contaminated mix).

Thanks for any help!

Nik

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maggie M.(z7 Sunset7 CA Sierra Foothills)

I moved from zone 9 to zone 7 and brought a potted specimen with me. In the heat of summer it needs mostly shade, consider it a part shade plant. You could lose it to sun + heat or you could lose it to cold in the winter (I had mine on a covered porch - some animal finally killed it by peeing in the pot after 5 years). It probably won't grow that fast in the container. If your pergola spot has afternoon shade and you'd be willing to frost protect the plant from freezing weather - it will work. It's a delightful plant but much more tender than the plain white jasmine.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 12:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
granburyflowergirl(7)

Thanks, the spot I had in mind is exposed to the hot Texas afternoon sun in the summer and the north wind in the winter so probably a bad idea...

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Need help identifying a few plants from a photo
Can someone please identify the plants used in this...
Merci Ava Maria
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™