? re: initial fertilization w/ 5:1:1 mix

noleradMarch 3, 2014

I am going with Al's 5:1:1 mix for my container vegetable (predominantly tomatoes) and herb garden this spring. I will be using Dynamite Select All-Purpose Indoor/Outdoor Fertilizer (15-5-9) as the initial SRF when transplanting to the containers. This will be supplemented during the season w/ Foliage-Pro and Pro-Tekt.

The Dynamite web site states the following: "For new plants and transplants, sprinkle Dynamite into the hole near the roots and then backfill." In a full 20 gal container and applying at the recommended rate of 1 Tbs/gallon of soil, this would result in a total fertilizer volume of 20 Tbs (1.25 cups).

This seems like an awful lot of fert to place so close to a fragile transplant. Would it be better to mix the Dynamite throughout the soil before digging the transplant hole? If so, would this mixing best be done after moistening the soil?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

So the tomatoes are in pots and the herbs are in the ground? I can't tell if you're talking about the ground or pots in your post. Can you clarify?

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 5:35PM
nolerad

Oxboy555,

Everything will be in pots. Sizes will vary, with the largest approx. 20 gallons. Thanks.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 6:05PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Definitely mix the Dynamite throughout the soil before putting it in your pot. It would hurt roots if it was all clumped together like that.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 6:48PM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

1.25 cups in a 20 gal isn't excessive. Yes, mix it in well. No need to moisten first, but water well after you're all planted.

If you ever forget like I do sometimes to mix in the initial CRF application, then just sprinkle a little bit on top of the 5-1-1 surface in the pot and mix it into the first inch or two. Then remember to apply more in a couple of months as the weather heats up. Light and more frequent always preferred in pots over heavy and infrequent fertilizing.

Also, with 5-1-1, there isn't really a transplant hole and backfilling. That's why you confused me. You make a volcano in the pot, splay out the bare plant roots and lay radially on top of the volcano. Then you fill in carefully doing your best to get mix in amongst the roots. You'll understand once you get your first planting under your belt.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Trying Petunias indoors
I thought that I would try to grow some Petunias indoors,...
nopets
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™