Spanish Bluebells/Camassia

lvmygrdn1(7)September 20, 2013

What is your experience with these plants? Are they invasive? Deer resistant? I love the look of them in catalogs but wanted to get some real opinions. Thank you, Ree in MD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Camas is native to my area and a lovely, less common, slowly naturalizing bulb. The Spanish bluebells on the other hand are a weed here in the PNW and considered an invasive species in the UK. But both bulbs may perform differently in different parts of the country.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 6:42PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I grow Camassia leichtlinii and I'd agree that it is slow to increase. It prefers a damp soil and doesn't mind some shade.

Bluebells spread by seed, runners, offsets. They turn up anywhere, sun or shade and a wide range of soil types.

They dig themselves down into the soil and take on weird shapes. They look glorious when in flower and like an unkempt lawn thereafter. Their leaves produce a sort of mucus/slime when broken and they make a very effective weed suppressant. Nothing much survives the flop of the bluebell leaves.

Nice flowers. Best kept quarantined in pots and deadheaded very promptly. Only naturalise if you have acres of space and plan to stay with your garden for years.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 2:52AM
lvmygrdn1(7)

Oh my! Vetivert8, I'm so glad I posted on GW. Thank you Gardengal48 for your input as well. They sound awful. Pretty is as pretty does. Thank you again. Ree in MD

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™