Miracle Grow Garden Soil?

nirenjoshi(7b)September 22, 2010

I bought a few bulbs of crocus, daffodils, anemone, muscari and allium from Walmart. I intend to dig a part of my bermuda grass lawn and plant these bulbs in there.

My question is - can I fill the holes I dig with miracle grow garden soil + some bulb fertilizer and put the bulbs in the holes?

Also, can I plant them under the 2 trees I have? If so, how far away from the trunk of the tree? I can see a few of the tree roots over ground - does it mean I shouldnt be digging near the trees?

Thanks for any advice.. This is the first time I am trying some bulbs. I like tulips, but having read that they wont come back made me think twice and so went with the other spring blooming bulbs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Are your trees evergreen? Or do they lose their leaves for winter?

What sort of soil is under your bermuda grass? Does it go rock-hard in summer? Or is it easy to dig for most of the time?

Do you plan to make patches of bulbs in the grass (like digging out a divot)? Or are you intending to make a regular bed? Any particular shape? And, how much late winter-early spring sun reaches the area you're planning to plant?

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 5:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nirenjoshi(7b)

The trees lose their leaves in Fall/winter. They are standard landscape trees, about 10-15 feet in height, not very large.
One tree has maple shaped leaves which are green in color during the summer. I guess its a maple tree. The other has white flowers early in the spring and then green leaves in the summer. I dont know the name.
Under the bermuda is rock hard clay - very hard to dig.

I am not sure if I should just make holes in the existing grass or make a bed. Leaving the grass around the holes would make it difficult to cut the grass in the spring, I suppose.. so I would think a small area devoted to the bulbs would be the answer. I am thinking of planting the bulbs by the driveway and in front of the front door - kind of like a L-shape. The area gets sun until 1 pm, I think. And then the house shades the area in the afternoon.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™