Magda or Ronde de Nice

barbge(4 MN)January 23, 2014

Has anybody grown both of the squash in the subject? If so, please compare and contrast. I need to pick one, but can't decide which. Both look appealing to me. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

I like them both but for different reasons. The ronde de Nice is nice for stuffing for a single serving size, it produces well but seems to be favored by squash bugs in my area (which is both good and bad, good because it can draw them from other plants). I enjoy the flavor and texture of the magda as a more multipurpose type zucchini. The Ronde's seemed to be a smaller bush so if space was a limitation, I would take that into consideration.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 1:21PM
farmerdill

Magda is a very nice Lebanese type zucchini , good producer. I prefer the flavor to a standard green zucchini. Ronde de Nice is nice round green zucchini. An OP so it more susceptible to diseases. Not competitive with the round zucchini hybrids like Eight Ball, Black Ball, Cue Ball etc

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 5:02PM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

Magda is a great squash. Per Johnnys (I think) the supplier may be phasing it out. So this might be a good time to get seeds if you want to try it.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 10:02PM
tucson_tomato(9)

I have grown this variety twice. It is a very good summer variety. The taste is quite good. It is somewhat resistant to Squash Vine Borers and it produces fairly well for the size. I have a blog post about my experience below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rounde De Nice

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
good weed fighters
Am looking for ideas to fight off weeds. Currently...
sepulvd
New garden: Cheap raised beds or quality large planters?
Hi all, Starting to plan the garden this year, which...
pegleg48
what do I do with sprouting sweet potatoes?
It way to early to plant the sprouts.. need to be near...
jeanwedding
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Skirret and Sea Kale
Can someone tell me where I might buy Skirret and Sea...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™