Caladium flop

Maryl zone 7aSeptember 20, 2010

I haven't used Caladiums in years and now I remember why. Just about the time there's hope for cooler weather (now) the leaves begin to flop. We had a brief cooler spell, but that just meant the temps dropped to the 70's, high 60's at night for a few days which, from what I've read, is not cool enough to make the leaves fall down. I always buy my Caladiums already growing in pots in the late spring and use them as potted plants for accent throughout the summer. They did fine in June/July/August, and have gotten plenty of water. But come September it's almost as if they just poop out. What gives?.....Maryl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

That's a puzzle. If they're in pots, maybe the soil is depleted of nutrients? Have you tried giving them a liquid fertilizer boost? The temperatures you describe should be GOOD for them, not cause them to flop.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maryl zone 7a

They get what I think is adequate additional fertilizer to what they come planted with (Miracid or Rose Miracle Gro 1/2 strength every 3 weeks or so). Do you (or anyone) grow them and they stay upright until cold weather moves in? Since it seems to happen no matter where I've had them placed, I don't think it is shifting sunlight. But obviously I really don't have a clue about what's happening, just that throughout the years it seems to always be the same. A lot like Hostas. They start looking like poo about the same time as the Caladiums. I now know that with Hostas that's basically the nature of the beast...Thanks Donna...Maryl

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™