nasturtium

valeriepa(z5-6 NEPA)March 3, 2013

Has anyone had sucess growing naturtium in containers? Any tips would be appreciated. I'd like to try tip top mahogany.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rina_

Never tried growing it in container, but it should work. It will 'sprawl', so make sure there is enough room for it; maybe it would work as a climber too. I grow them in ground & they cover lot of area. I think pots will look very nice & full.
Supposedly seedlings don't transplant well (I had in the past);should not be overwatered or over fertilized (will just grow lots of leaves & not enough flowers).
If you soak seeds in water before planting they will sprout very fast.
You know they are edible? (leaves, flowers & seed pods).

I got some seeds for the mahogony to grow in spring, looks like very nice color.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 1:26PM
Cardioprimadona

Thanks for those tips. I was all set to plant some in a sub irrigation planter (swc) but now I'm thinking that might be too much water for them. I'm going to put them in a window box...thinking they'll trail over the side and hedge below.

So, just to be sure...no self watering containers? I live in Las Vegas. Thanks in advance for confirming.

Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 10:11AM
tempusflits

I plant them close to the edge of my containers and let them trail over the side. I put them in with vegetables to deter pests. But I think they add a great deal to the look of the pot, anyway. Of course, mid-season they will fade. Or at least, mine do. But I've found them to grow well in pots.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 6:08AM
chloeasha

I've grown them in containers before, and when I was in the UK I saw them everywhere in containers. They work well as long as they have the right conditions.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
MikeinPA_Zone5b
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™