'Glory of the Snow' Chionodoxa luciliae

toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)September 20, 2009

Hello, just wandering over from the trees and conifers forums in need of some advice.

The Arbor Day Foundation has offered to send me 5 Purple Prince Tulips, 15 Ruby Giant Crocus and 15 Glory of the Snow bulbs in exchange for a $10 donation to their Tree City USA program.

As I have a new flower bed with some lighter foliaged Tiger Eyes Sumac and soon a Gold Rush Dawn Redwood this seems like a pretty good deal to get some spring contrast going for the next few years.

My wife is familiar with Crocus, I grow Tulips all over the place but I couldn't find much detailed information on this Glory of the Snow bulb. The bed in general gets sun from about 9 to 6. The soil seems deep enough and even though I have clay under it, being in the middle of a 800 foot long gentle hill it drains well.

Does Glory of the Snow have any odd PH or sun requirements or need poor soil? I have spots like that. Wikipedia says its a native of Turkey and someplace else says it naturalizes well by seed. Does that mean it's invasive and will take over my naturalized area a hundred feet away or just I'll get a couple new ones?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Grows anywhere there is full or near-full sun, naturalizes well and is a nice in-the-lawn bulb. I planted a dozen about 40 years ago and now every Spring have thousands in the lawn Gorgeous! Bloom after species crocus but die off early so no problem.

The spread by seed as well as bulb spliting. Not invasive in the sense of Ornithogallum but a very good companion to nearly everything. Never been a problem for me as they seem to prefer the lawn to any other areas.

George

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 9:57AM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

In the yard is an idea I did not have. I'll modify my plan to get the mail order ones started in this area with its later blooming companions and then trying to collect the seeds for any patter I can think of in the yard.

Thank you very much,
Marc

Bookmark   September 21, 2009 at 2:27PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I grow it. Have never found it difficult or invasive.

In my opinion, though, lucillae is not the prettiest of the Chionodoxa. I bought it last fall when I could not find C. sardensis. Color is a paler blue with a lavender cast.

Bookmark   September 22, 2009 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™