perenials for full sun

billda(sePA)September 7, 2010

I'm planting bulbs in late October and would like s uggestions. Long blooming and low maintenance preferred.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mosswitch

Most spring flowering bulbs bloom for only a couple of weeks, and most are low maintainance, except for the late large-flowering tulips, which sometimes can only be counted on as annuals and need planted every year. The best thing to do is to plant bulbs that flower in succession, early, mid-season and late, so you will have a blooms season that can last from late February (snow crocuses, winter aconite, snowdrops, early daffodils, scilla, chiondoxa, reticulata iris)followed by midseason (puskinia,large flowering crocus, specie tulips, early and mid-season tulips, grape hyacinths, large-flowered hyacinths, daffodils, camassia, fritillaria, anemone blanda) and even into May, late tulips, late daffodils such as Poeticus, leucojum, brodaiea, ornitogalum, wood hyacinths, tritellia or ipheion,(one of my very favorites and they bloom for weeks, periwinkle blue stars).

A few choices from each bloom season will give you a long and colorful spring!

One of my favorite catalogs is Van Engelen, Inc. It has a lot of information as well as a huge variety of bulbs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen, Inc

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
daves10z7annv
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™