Bulbs for cutting

gaia6b(z6B MA)September 19, 2010

Hi bulbs people - I usually post on the perennials forum and don't have much experience with bulbs. I have a 6X6 sunny plot and want to plant as many tulips as possible in that space so they can be harvested for my daughter's spring wedding. How many do you think will fit safely in that space? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

With @36 sq. ft. you can pack in quite a few. Probably 180-200 bulbs planted at least 3" apart. Note that this is not an exact calculation.

When you're planting for a date specific event be sure you have a back up plan - a florist or even the fresh flower carts at Costco or Sam's Club. And protect them from deer and rabbits who love to nip the buds. There are a lot of variables that can impact tulips blooming by a specific date - weather is just one and the type if tulip is another. Do a little web searching for early, midseason and late blooming tulip varieties.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 10:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joshy46013

Tulips according to the temp. will either bloom very quickly or slowly, not only could they bloom too fast but they could also open way too slow. I would for sure have a backup plan like was stated.

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™