Crinums in pots

HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5September 14, 2012

I'm looking for some crinum advice.

I got several crinums (Alfa) and put them in fairly small pots (e.g. like I pot amaryllis). They bloomed for me once, but the flowers only lasted a day and were closed by the time I got home from work most days- very fleeting beauty!. The plants quickly sent up multiple additional leaves all around, quickly crowding the pots. I haven't found much on crinum culture in pots. Does anyone successfully grow them this way? What are the key tips to be followed? Do any varieties have flowers that last until late in the day or for several days? Do they rebloom? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I have about ten of various varieties, all part of a package from Costco about 3 years ago. They are all in pots of various sizes, the bigger the better for most of them. I move them under protection in the winter to keep them from our mild frost to encourage blooming the following summer. I have only had three bloom so far, two white and one red. This year I had four flowering stems on the red one, each stem a cluster of flowers, which lasted several days each stem, which bloomed one after the other. The white ones had only one stem with multiple flowers. One bulb in the package turned out a Lycoris which bloomed this August. The plants get bigger each year and we look for more of them to bloom. Al

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™