Matching herbs to different sized pots

FauxliviaMarch 2, 2014

Hi,

Beginner gardener here, just waiting for spring weather to start so I can plant some herbs to grow in containers on my porch!

I plan to grow basil, mint, lemon balm, lavender, thyme, and sage from seed. I have a bunch of small pots of slightly different sizes, so I wanted to ask for some advice on which herbs to grow in which pot. These are the sizes:

6.75" diameter, 4.5" deep
6" diameter, 4.5" deep
6" diameter at top, 3" diameter at bottom, 5" deep
5" diameter, 4" deep
5" diameter, 3" deep
4.5" diameter, 4" deep

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Limit your soil selection to a soil you can water to beyond saturation - so at least 15-20% of the total volume of water you applied exits the drain, carrying accumulating salts with it, and you can use any size pot you like - the bigger the better. The larger the pot, the better the potential growth. It's not plant size or how large the root mass is that determines what size pot is appropriate, it's your choice of soils.

Let us know if that makes sense and want to learn more.

Al

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 6:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

The more important question is what type of 'soil' or mix are you using for the initial seeds, as well as for the seedlings as they grow and begin to leaf out? Keep in mind that once the thyme, lavender and sage get going, you ought to transplant them into Gritty mix (research it in this forum) and ensure plenty of sun. These three herbs like their soil on the fast draining/dry side so they won't thrive at all in anything overly wet/peaty/composty.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™