I need help with layout of bulbs: Crocus, Squill, ,& Eranthis

lightning96(4)September 24, 2011

I need help with arranging bulbs in my garden bed. I have never planted bulbs before, and would love input on what you think would look the best.

I bought 50 each of -

Siberian Squill (Scilla sp.) -- tiny blue flowers,

Crocus tommasinianus "Ruby Giant"

Crocus chrysanthus "Cream Beauty" (yellow)

Eranthus hyemalis "Winter Aconite"

I am planting these in a partial sun spot under 2 deciduous trees. When the flowers emerge the location will be very sunny as the leaves don't arrive until May.

Can anyone give me tips on how to arrange the bulbs for the best effect? I guess the squill, since they are tiny flowers, should be in the front? How should I arrange the yellow & violet crocus... would it look better to mix colors or keep them seperate? Where should I plant the Eranthus bulbs?

I look forward to hearing any advice! Especially if you are familiar with these flowers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

These are all small plants recommended for naturalising and although 50 seems a lot they will not cover a huge area. They look best in grass imo since they can disappear against soil, especially Eranthus which is only a couple of inches tall. The Eranthus will flower first. I would put them in patches of perhaps 10 - 20 bulbs and definitely in single colours and single species. A simple techinique is to throw the bulbs down and plant where they fall for a natural effect. I would not bother which ones were in front since they are all short. A position under a deciduous tree is perfect.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 2:31PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Need help germinating some old bulbs w/ pic
I've got these 3 old bulbs that have been sitting in...
bradleyheathhays
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™