Can daffodils and daylilies be grown in the same bed?

birchhillSeptember 19, 2011

I assume that the daylilies would start to emerge after the daffodils had finished blooming and their foliage would help conceal the yellowing leaves of the daffodils. But are they compatible or would one eventually crowd out the other?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Absolutely. I have done it for years, for exactly the reasons you state. I recommend that you carefully center your bulbs between the daylilies so you can find them when it's time to dig and divide the lilies. Otherwise you can quickly ruin your bulbs by cutting them with the shovel.

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 11:39PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

My daylilies are planted close enough that the roots grow together after a few years. I guess I am too lazy to dig and divide them, but I like a plant that does not demand much from me. I have a lot of daffodils and they are TOUGH, but I would not pit them against the daylilies. Al

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 8:25AM
Maryl zone 7a

I can't remember the last time I divided a daylily. Our clay soil seems to keep them in bounds (and I'm not overly ambitious anyway). But I can remember the last time I divided Dafs - last year. They became so crowded that they weren't blooming. Fortunately they are planted and grow more shallowly then daylily roots (which go down towards China it seems), so it wasn't too traumatic to the few daylily roots that were disturbed when I dug the Dafs up, divided them and re-planted. Plant your Dafs around the daylily drip line plus a few inches out from that for good measure. Find some way to mark your measurements so that when the daylilies go dormant and you don't have their foliage to go by, you can still plant your dafs the right distance away from them.....Maryl

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Plants with deficiencies
My plants always suffer from nitrogen deficiency and...
chris_p1
daves10z7annv
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
Sponsored Products
11.5-Inch Daffodil Bell Mini Lamp
$102.60 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Collection Cushions 49 in. D Daffodil Sunbrella Montauk
$75.00 | Home Depot
Daffodil Bold Stripe Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Daffodil Cocoa Framed Full Length Mirror
bryght.com
'May Flowers' Yard Sign - Set of Four
$12.99 | zulily