using different kinds of bulbs for a "bulb sandwich"?

arylkin(5b, south of Chicago)September 23, 2013

I've been reading about planting different varieties of bulbs in the same area at different depths. Everything I read says it works fine for the usual spring bulbs (daffodils, tulip, crocus), though the area I'm planting the main focus is on lilies, I have mainly different orienpet bulbs, although I do have some asiatic lily bulbs to plant as well. My reading seems to suggest that I can do daffodils and tulips in the same area where I've planted the lilies (at different depths), although I'm wondering if it would be possible to do other bulbs like allium and iris (I know they aren't really bulbs, but still) in the same area.

Is there a downside to doing this, other than the fact that they might have to be dug up eventually to divide them? I'm thinking that irises are too dense for the lilies to come up through and would be too much competition maybe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The critical thing is to ensure they want the same growing conditions. Spring flowering bulbs that go summer dormant like it very dry during that period, which is just the opposite of most summer flowering bulbs.

I would not necessarily intermix bearded iris and lilies. It is just not going to be a very satisfactory planting appearance-wise. But none of these plants/bulbs have to be in a dedicated bed - they will look best if combined in a mixed planting that includes other perennials and even small shrubs, grasses or groundcovers. The greater the variety of plants with varying seasons of interest, the less issue with the unsightliness of maintaining ripening foliage.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 7:09PM
More Discussions
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™