productivity of clemson spineless vs clemson 80

2bgreenJanuary 26, 2013

I should have kept better records but it seems that I recall planting clemson 80 and got unexpected poor production. I know what websites say about it but I would love to hear from anyone who has some actual experience with these 2 cultivars. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pduck42(7)

Clemson spineless did well for me and always has. Don't know about clemson 80

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:44PM
alfy(z 6Pa.)

I have never planted Clemson 80. I find that Clemson Spineless is very productive here in Central PA. Matter of fact won't plant it this year as we have plenty from last year.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:18PM
nc_crn

"80" is an "improved" version with pods that can get longer without getting hard/woody and a (slightly, imo) more vigorous selection compared to the traditional CS.

The main advantage, imo, is you can let it go to 4-5" without it becoming tough, whereas you the traditional CS is better harvested at 3-4"...though I'd still harvest at 3-4" for either type unless you like wide pods. I find the wider the pod, no matter the tenderness, the easier it loses it's seeds when you cook them...I prefer the sweet seeds hold onto the pods rather than cooking out.

This post was edited by nc-crn on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 17:09

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 5:08PM
thatcompostguy

Apparently, it matters how close you plant them. I've read that if you have plants in a row 6 or 8 inches apart, each plant will grow straight up and only produce pods on the main trunk. But if you thin, or just plant to 3 or 4 feet between plants, each plant will branch out and produce more per plant than they would if in a row because each limb will produce as many as the main trunk.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 8:27AM
2bgreen

Thanks all for your responses. You're right about the spacing. I plant 18" apart and always end up with okra "trees" with thick trunks and sometimes I can't get the roots up even with shovels and spade forks. They produce lots of branches. I think I will go with the Clemson 80 and keep better records.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™