Best tasting asparagus varieties

gottagarden(z5 western NY)January 14, 2008

I finally have a garden to grow asparagus, and I was wondering what varieties people prefer for taste. I know everyone's taste buds are a bit different, but I'd like to hear your preferences. I know I have to wait 3 years and all that, so I'd like the wait to be worth it.

PS - I did a search of this forum, but while the search function works, none of the links do, so I can't find anything that way.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Purple Passion is claimed to be extra tasty. I have one little surviving plant so I can't attest for myself.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 2:32PM
denninmi(8a)

I've grown everything from seed-grown crowns dug from the wild in roadside ditches to the all-male "Jersey" type cultivars, and to me, they all taste pretty much the same. The all-male cultivars do have the advantage of having thicker spears, but they have the disadvantage, in my opinion, of NOT forming berries and self-sowing. Over the years, I've dug up a whole lot of asparagus seedlings which the birds sowed in wierd places, like flowerbeds or cracks in the sidewalk, and moved them into my patch to add to it.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 2:36PM
skagit_goat_man_(WA)

If picked at the right time they all taste good to me. I think even bad spears covered in lemon/butter sauce taste great. All my 'gus are Jersey Knight. Tom

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 5:58PM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

I have both jersey giants and purple passion. I like them both about equally but some people have raved over the purple passion.

Yes, the females reseed EVERYWHERE but the males are much more productive. Out of 50 plants I wound up with around 8 females. I yanked all the females 2 yrs ago because they became such a weed. So obviously, I prefer the males over the females.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 8:28PM
hines

They are all so much better fresh out of the garden than anything you can buy in a store. I like both purple passion and the Jersey strains. The secret is to break them off and run back to the house and into a waiting pot of water.

Bookmark   January 14, 2008 at 10:51PM
txtomato(7)

Glad to hear the Jersey Strains are good. I picked up two bags of them at Wal Mart of all places this past weekend. 5 two year old male crowns per bag for $3.96...I figured I would give it a whirl...

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 12:30AM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

Thanks everyone! I think I will go for the Jersey Knight and purple passion because those are the ones that are most available. I have good soil and good drainage, so now I just have to wait . . . .

I appreciate your input.

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 9:51AM
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

I'll second or third the nomination for purple passion.

All home grown asparagus is super tasty and can be eaten fresh without no cooking necessary, but that is doubbly true for purple passion. Just break it off and it eat it! It doesn't get any better than that.

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 4:18PM
More Discussions
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
Why is Zucchini Stem Splitting?
This is my first year growing zucchini. It's in a container...
Cliff Pruitt
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™