I Would Like Your Opinions

Im_That_GuyMarch 4, 2012

Last October I came across a plexiglass shelving unit my neighbor was throwing away. I had an idea of converting it into a multi-level planter. This is the first time I have attempted something like this and am doing it just out of curiosity. I would like your opinions though as to what plants would do best in this experiment. It is going to be placed in my backyard with plenty of sunlight too. The shelves are 37 inches long, 9 inches in width, and 4 inches in depth. I was thinking herbs myself, maybe strawberries even. There are 8 shelves total.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/OMGiitzCatiexOx/3_5_12003.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/OMGiitzCatiexOx/3_5_12002.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Hmmmm, Norton/Symantec blocked me from looking, that's never happened with Photobucket. Specifically said "Trojan.Maliframe!html" - then, unsafe site.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 10:49PM
Im_That_Guy

Sorry, im a newbie here. How do I post photos directly to the post rather than use links?

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 11:42PM
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Here are your photos:

Were you thinking of having the plants in pots or planting them directly in the shelves? Either way, my first concern would be how you would handle drainage.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 12:39PM
Im_That_Guy

Thank you for the help :). Planting directly into shelves is the plan. Each shelf has a gap on either side that would allow for some drainage and im planning on drilling some holes into the shelves for a little more. However im not sure if light would have an adverse effect on the root system since the shelves are clear.If so I was thinking of layering the inside of the shelves with a dark material. Tarp or trash bag maybe.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
Avocado as a Container Plant III
Well, another wonderful Summer is passing, and there...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Question for Al (tapla) re bark in gritty mix
I live in Australia and just starting to experiment...
alan.oz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™