My first bulbs, what should I pick?

calik8(sunset18)September 29, 2011

I live in the San Fernando Valley of L.A.

I think I have time to buy some bulbs and stick them in the fridge for a month before planting. I will plant these bulbs in containers. I only know I am not interested in Iris or Calla Lilly. So where is good place to shop that has low prices and a large varieties? What bulbs produce heavily scented blooms?

TIA

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pizzuti(5A)

Narrow it down a little...

Do you want something easy to grow that will bloom year after year in your climate?

Do you want something really big and showy and not care if it blooms once but is difficult to keep growing?

Do you want traditional temperate-climate spring bulbs like daffodils and tulips?

I would look up some tropical bulbs that are right for your climate. Drought-tolerant varieties might do better in containers. You could grow hippeastrum (amaryllis) or clivia or gladiolus... too many to list!

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 12:24AM
kemistry(8 - Oregon)

tuberose, tuberose and more tuberose ;) Very easy to grow and smells so nice! (A fine perfume of jasmine with coconut in the mix)

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 3:34AM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Heavily scented - for spring - Hyacinths. Also consider tazetta and jonquil daffodils. (Divisions 7 and 8.)

Another scented - Freesia burtonii. These are shorter than the big florists' freesias - cream with a yellow throat and hardy to light frosts. They look great with yellow Lachenalia and/or blue or purple Muscari.

For later in spring - Leucocoryne. Later again - oriental lilies (stargazer type. The asiatics aren't usually scented.)

For the daffodils they do prefer being in-ground as they like to 'dig in' but they will probably flower for the first year in pot or tub. The Hyacinths are more reliable for lasting over into flowering the following season - and the others I've listed.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 4:30AM
More Discussions
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™