Saving bulbs

marykayeee(Z5PA)September 23, 2011

I am moving late this year. I dug up many of my tulip and daffodil bulbs to take with me. However, I won't be able to get them in the ground until we are settled next year. In other words, they will be skipping a year. Would you expect them to survive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

No, I'm afraid I wouldn't, not if they've been kept out of the ground for 12 months, in less than ideal storage. Can you plant them in pots to take with you, plant in pots as soon as you get to the new house or just heel them in temporarily?

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 9:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Have you got a friend in the place you are leaving who would let you plant them at their place - and retrieve them once they've died down again? That would give you at least nine months to settle in and put your new garden together.

Spring planting of bulbs for spring can work. Sort of. But it may take one to two years before the bulbs forgive you and start flowering again.

And flora's suggestion is definitely worth strong consideration. If you are having a new house built in your next location, can you set aside a nursery area for your plants, safe from the builders, and take your pots there? Or come to an agreement with the present owners, if you are buying an existing house?

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 12:51AM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Sponsored Products
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lighting. Chelsea Collection Mediterranean Bronze Outdoor Pa
$39.00 | Home Depot
P5311 Alecia’s Necklace II LED Bath
LBC Lighting
Carbonne Bar
FRONTGATE
One-Light Pendant in Polished Nickel
$119.90 | Bellacor
Architectural Outdoor Fluorescent One-Light Oil Bronze Aluminum Outdoor Wall Sco
$77.00 | Bellacor
White Burma Lamp
$194.90 | Horchow
Texas 4-ft 57W LED Specification Grade Wraparound
LBC Lighting
Sea Gull Lighting Herrington Hanging/Ceiling Mount 1-Light Outdoor Black Fixture
$86.00 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™