Soil for fabric Potato bags

nokiMarch 20, 2011

Bought some large black fabric bags for potatoes from Gardeners.com. Some what should be my best choice for soil? Should I try to save the container soil at the end of the year and referesh next year, or mix the soil into the regular ground soil?

Not to be cheap, not doing it to save money, but spending $100 total for some potatoes does seem rather foolish. Gotta find a rational way to do this.

http://www.gardeners.com/Potato-Bin/VegetableGardening_SpaceIntensive,36-629RS,default,cp.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato bags

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Are they woven and permeable, or are they water-tight? Do they have holes in the bottom so there will be a continuous bridge between the media in the bags and the ground below?

Al

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Gardeners Supply sells Smart Pots under their own label. They are the original aeration containers that are permeable to water and air. If you place them on bare ground, they will act more like a raised bed than a solid container, and won't have a perched water table. In that case, I have been told you can use a heavier soil, similar to 5-1-1 but with added builders sand. For potatoes, I plan to start with a base of that kind of soil mix and then "hill" them with a mix of soil and straw. If you make your own soil, this can be economical.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Making my garden easy care
I need an easy are garden. Because of ill health ,...
Carry2
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™