Tree with bent trunk

perennialfan273(zone 5)March 22, 2012

I recently ordered an aglaia odorata (tropical tree). It was like this when it arrived. There's no doubt in my mind that I can turn this into a healthy plant, but this is not desirable to me (I don't know about everyone else, but when I think of trees, I think of something growing straight and upright). I have sent an e-mail to the nursery requesting a different plant. Do you think this is a reasonable request??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrlike2u(**)

IMO it's not an unreasonable request but are you certain you want to return for exchange a tree that already has a somewhat natural bend already if your plan is to bonsai it ?

Now that I think about it I can see why your newly delivered tree would have that shops typical bend as they do keep them inside over winter nearly unattended at the south side full sun exposure side of there hot house.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 1:13AM
perennialfan273(zone 5)

Here are some pictures of the tree. As you can see, it is bent at the base of the trunk and will not stand up straight on its own. And yes I am planning on turning this into a bonsai but this is not the kind of bend I want my tree to have.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af165/mryan79266/

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 1:52AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The tree's trunk seems rather straight to me. If you want it more vertical, just stake it to the vertical. My preference is always to have some movement in the trunk, so bending the tree in a lazy 'S' so the crown is eventually over the roots would make a much more attractive tree that has some personality - as opposed to something that will eventually probably end up looking like a lollipop. Your tree is commonly sold as a 'Bahama berry' bonsai starter. I've seen dozens of these trees in collections as small trees. Those with straight trunks usually appear too stiff & formal to be natural. Those with curved or slanted trunks look more natural & appealing to the eye.

If I was considering the purchase of that particular tree, my eye would tell me the feature least appealing is its trunk, because it's too straight. Fortunately, the tree is so young that can easily be solved by either wiring or pruning.

In the end, it's YOUR eye that determines what pleases you, but training the tree to vertical would only take about 5 minutes.

Al

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Browning Zinnia leaves
One of my Zinnia's leaves are starting to turn brown....
patio_garden
Sponsored Products
Lighted Fading Tree - M: 62"H x 44"W - Christmas Lights
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Stanley Furniture Preserve Orchid 64 x 18 Rectangular Pavillion Media Console
LuxeDecor
Cabo Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Harbor Beach Outdoor Rug
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Field of Dreams Wall Art
Home Decorators Collection