Small containers

penguininthebooniesMarch 11, 2014

Hey all, I've failed at my last attempts at a garden, and it seems to be mostly because of fire ants. They get into EVERYTHING I plant. Last year, I figured, if I planted peppers that were hot enough, maybe I could ALSO plant a few herbs, and the hot peppers would keep the ants at bay so my herbs would survive. Nope, fire ants devoured my peppers too, even the ghost peppers and caribbean reds.

So, this year, I'm trying a raised container idea. I have lots of white plastic bins with holes in the side (the kind you get at WalMart), and was going to use landscaping cloth to keep the dirt in, but still let the air through the holes. My plan is to drill holes in the bottom of the buckets, and do either one tomato or two cucumbers in the bottoms, and then radishes and lettuce on the top. Has anyone tried this? Am I being too ambitious with a small space? I have a metal rack that I've "engineered" (read: rigged...) to hold 10 buckets about 4 feet off the ground. The idea is, I can treat for fire ants at the base of the rack, and I won't have to worry about chemicals on my plants.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beeman_gardener(5)

Your ideas sound a lot like Alaska Grow buckets, minus one or two points. Can I suggest you have a look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Alaska Grow Buckets

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 8:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Are you talking about trying to rig something like the Topsy Turvy Tomato grow bags? If so, I wouldn't recommend it. Plants really don't like to grow upside down. And five gallons is pretty small for even a single dwarf determinate tomato. Regular tomato plants need at least 10 gallons and grow best with 15-20 gallons or more per single plant. Cucumbers can grow in five gallon buckets (1 or 2 plants). The idea of mixing different kinds of plants in the same pot always sounds charming, but it rarely works. The big bullies hog the sun and root space.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
Hydrophobic potting soil
The potting soil in some of my containers has become...
patio_garden
Root bound jasmine separation
HI.. It is a first time I disturbed a rootball of...
amriteanukul112
Soil for elephant ear plant?
I'm getting ready to plant an elephant ear plant in...
bunky_mi
Testing mycorrhizal fungus inoculant in containers
So I have decided to test a mycorrhizal fungus inoculant...
Bob1016
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Green & Blue Small Cracker Container Set
$7.99 | zulily
Kennel-Gear Supply Caddy with Plastic Bar Mount - 7540
$20.99 | Hayneedle
Crawfish Kickers with Dipping Sauce - LIGHT BROWN
$60.00 | Horchow
Cedar Shed 6 x 12 ft. Gardeners Delight Potting Shed - GD612
Hayneedle
Burns Leather Chair - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture