What would you plant with tulips?

hmmm562(6a)September 24, 2009

I am a new gardener. I just bought some bulbs for next spring. I am wondering what I should plant with tulips, so I can still have something there at the same spot after the tulips is done for the season? I made a mistake last year by just planting tulips. After the tulips were done, there were only weeds growing there. :( I have teamed up allium with daffodils.

I am in Zone 6a and I have the same address as deers have. Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tugbrethil

Tulips like to be on the dry side in summer, so how about something drought tolerant, like Snow-in-Summer (Cerastrium tomentosum) or hardy iceplants (Delosperma species). People who actually live in a cold climate probably have a lot more suggestions: I'm just harking back to my college days in Flagstaff, AZ (z 5). : )

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 9:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

I'm not sure how hardy any of these would be for you, but here goes: Paeony, Delphinium, Euphorbia (the coloured ones not the 'weeds'!), Salvia, Scabious, Aubrieta, dwarf bearded Iris, Helleborus foetida (more for foliage than flowers once the tulips have gone) 'daisies' - eg Arctotis, Gazania, Osteospermum - Verbena and Verbascum, Origanum, Penstemon, Nicotiana, Dianthus annual and perennial.

Unless you're aiming for a massive 'show' of tulips it might help to make them more like temporary decorations for the main display. Patches of delightful colour while the main show is coming into leaf and bud.

With big displays the 'easiest way' is to lift all the bulbs, feed the ground richly, and plant out your bedding plants to give a further magnificent display. (It helps to have hired help for this kind of production.)

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 8:45PM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™