Fostoriana aka Emperor Tulips

cynthianovakSeptember 6, 2007

Hi All

I've never planted this type of tulip, but love the mix on the front of both Scheepers and High Country Gardens catalogues...I guess lots of folks will love the images.

BUT, would you tell me what your experience with these are?

thank you

as you can tell, reworking my annual order

cynthia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Janine Starykowicz

I planted one pack of Red Emperor a couple years ago. Giant neon red tulips that come up early, long stems that can blow over in the wind. Something has been digging up that garden, but at least 2 out of the original 5 maybe are still coming up.

I haven't seen those catalogues, are the yellow ones this impressive?

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 1:33PM
cynthianovak

here's the mixture. They don't have the cover photo...darn. But they do look top heavy
v

Here is a link that might be useful: mix

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 5:02PM
tom_mn(z4b_MN)

Emperor tulips would make a poor mix. They bloom at different times, are different heights, and the flowers are different sizes. Also, only Red comes up year after year.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 11:18PM
anna_beth(zone 5-6)

Those are earlier than other tulips, quite tall and have noticeably larger flowers, huge petals, so plant them away from the very edge of the bed. I had Flaming Purissima last year and they looked great, except that there were many more white flowers than pink-veined ones (the photos usually show much pink ones). I do not know about mixing them.

Bookmark   September 9, 2007 at 5:36AM
alpiner(Albertaz3)

Fosteriana (note spelling) tulips are good and dependable naturalizers where tulips are treated as perennials. Our various Emperors multiply every year. The white 'Purissima' is a known fosteriana naturalizer.

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 3:56PM
pbandj_grow

cynthianovak,
First off, I find that many times folks forget, or don't realize the great pains and expense that many nurseries go to in order to achieve those perfect pictures. It is common practice for some growers to "stage plant" these beds specifically for one photo-shoot. I have seen where hundreds of plants may be dug and planted before they get that one picture that they feel is perfect. The other thing to bear in mind is that these photos show us what would be possible if everything were absolutely perfect. Possible? Yes - but highly unlikely.

As to raising these, or any spring-flowering bulb for that matter, yess they will come back year after year and bloom nicely as long as you keep them properly fed at the right times, properly watered and dig them about every three years, divide the bulbs and rejuvinate the beds.

It is just my opinion, but I think Tulips are a flower that looks best planted to view from a little distance and not up close as in the front of the bed. Also, if you tend to have a lot of wind, it would be advisable to provide some form of support for any of the tall species. However, I find this to be a simple thing provided you do this at planting time. I use painted coat hangers and soda straws. I'll be glad to give you or anyone more information on this if you will drop me a line at - plantman.ozarks@yahoo.com

Also, you might check out the website below. They have a lot of great information and a pretty good newsletter that covers a little bit of everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening Resource

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 10:02AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
stars of bethlehem
Anything new on the market that will kill stars of...
flowergirl70ks
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Sponsored Products
Handcrafted Narrow Tulip Trowel
$68.00 | FRONTGATE
Solana Polished Nickel Three-Light Fluorescent Wall Mounted Bath Fixture
$164.00 | Bellacor
Original Gilded Tulip on White Linen - GOLD
$895.00 | Horchow
Amora Lighting Tulips Design Tiffany Style Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Adam's Rose Tulip Glass
Classic Hostess