Refrigerate without planting first?

scully931(6)October 24, 2009

Hi,

I could have sworn that last year I put my tulip bubls in a paper bag and in the refrigerator for about 8 weeks. When the time was up, I got them out, planted them and put the container in a sunny window. They were gorgeous.

But, I've been looking up how to do it (to refresh my memory) and I can't find one article that doesn't say you can refrigerate without planting. They are saying to plant them then put the entire pot in the frige.

Can't I do it my way? :-)

Also, do I need to put the planted bulbs into a dark space after chilling and planting. I don't believe I did that either last year.

Thank you for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I think it would be fine to just refrigerate without potting first. For that matter, If you have just purchased the bulbs, and they have been prechilled, as most are, I think, you could just store them in a cool dry place until potting them up for forcing.

If you do it your way. I think you would just plant them, water them, and set them in a warm place in the home, with no need for darkness.

Hopefully someone else will weigh in with some more input.

Sue

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 8:30AM
calistoga_al

I refrigerate in the bags they came in every year with no problem. I have a garden refrigerator that does not self defrost and has little drying effect on the bulbs. Here in the warm winter west, refrigerating is a must, and I have never seen bulbs offered that claimed to have been pre-chilled. When removed from refrigerator they should be planted right away. Al

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 8:42AM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

Al,

The only place that I have seen offer pre-chilled bulbs is Brent and Becky's Bulbs. They have a huge selection of bulbs, and then they offer pre-chilled bulbs. They may have a sale going on right now. I think next month they offer 1/2 off sales.

http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

Danielle

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 10:50AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

You folks are right...Most bulbs are likely not prechilled unless they specifically say they have been. Sorry.

Sue

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 11:57AM
scully931(6)

Thanks for all the quick advice! I have also not seen pre-chilled bulbs. Too bad, seems there would be a market for them.

Threw the bulbs in the refrigerator last night and marked the calendar. Should have some lovely blooms around mid-February. One of the blah-est months! :-)

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 12:32AM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™