Cardiocrinum Info

fishman49(AL 8b)October 26, 2009

While I know that Cardiocrinum grows in West Coast z8, Gulf Coast z8 is an entirely different animal with a different amount of winter chilling hours and much hotter summers. So I would like to hear from successful Southern growers of Cardiocrinums their general location and number of chilling hours before I invest in a plant that might not grow on the Gulf Coast with 450-600 chilling hours.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Personally, I have never read or seen anything about cardiocrinums growing in the southeast. They are not even listed in The Southern Living Garden Book, which is not a good sign.

Crinums, however, are very successful here. There are white varieties too. I imagine you'd have more success with them.

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 7:19PM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Yeah, but no one would mistake a 12 foot tall Cardiocrinum with a common Crinum (or an uncommon one for that matter).....they can easily take your heat in the summer if you supply the monsoon conditions, but they do like some cold...they do not need a lot of cold though.......they grow them by the millions in Darjeeling, India which is where I used to get mine from and that is not a freezing weather area. Best of luck getting info from someone down south :o) Dan

Bookmark   October 26, 2009 at 8:27PM
bubba62

I'm not sure chilling hours would be as big an issue as southern heat and humidity. I've tried two different species of Cardiocrinum three times in coastal VA, only to have them melt away after warm, rainy periods in July and August, even having located them in well-drained areas. I've pretty much decided it's not something I want to coddle along again, since there are so many other things that do so well here.

Bookmark   October 27, 2009 at 4:01AM
More Discussions
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
narcissus bulbs on clearance
Just wanted to share that I bought potted narcissus...
southerngardening24
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
Aliante Bed
| Italy Design
Loft Sectional Sofa
Italy Design
Zandvoort S 3-Seat Sofa
| Italy Design
Modern Classic Bench
| Italy Design
Action Sofa
| Italy Design