planting depth and mulch

minilaura(5b)October 12, 2009

I'm new to planting bulbs and I need help.

The instructions I have say to plant daffodil bulbs 6 inches deep. Does that mean 6 inches below the soil line or 6 inches below the top of the mulch? I have a 1-2 inch layer of mulch on the bed where I'm planning to plant the bulbs.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi minilaura,

My name is Sue, and I am a daffodil addict.

Daffodils are my favorite flower and they are very forgiving, regardless of the depth they are planted.

I just checked some literature I received from the Daffodil Society and it says, "Generally three times the height of the bulb. Six to eight inches for larger ones, four to six inches for smaller types, and two to four inches for miniatures. Deeply planted bulbs will increase at a slower rate than those planted shallow."
The depth means to the bottom of the hole, and I would not include the mulch in the depth. I tend to plant on the shallow side, since I welcome them increasing, though that means them needing dug and divided a bit more often due to crowding. I plant small bulbs at 2", medium at 4" and large at 6".

I have also heard and read they should be planted at two times the height of the bulb, as well as 2 times the diameter of the bulbs. Either way, 2 to 3 times the height, or the width should be fine.

Below is a link to some Frequently Asked Questions at the American Daffodil Association. It does however not cover depth, but has some good info.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: ADS FAQ

Bookmark   October 12, 2009 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™