Narcissus bulbocodium (hoop petticoat daffodils) - fall foliage?

pizzuti(5A)October 28, 2011

I just got some Narcissus bulbocodium for the first time, and it is yet to be planted. I noticed the bulbs are already sending out the very tips of some leaves while dry in the package.

I am reading online that in zones with very mild winters, they produce fall foliage starting in September or October the same way grape hyacinths do, and it persists through winter. But in colder climates, the first foliage will emerge in February.

My question is, how can the bulbs possibly "know" what winter climate they're in when it's still fall?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I have grown hoop petticoats for many years. Yes, they certainly are some of the earliest to emerge, though there are several others in my yard that come up this early too. It seems to me that, in general, the earlier a daffodil blooms in the season, the earlier its foliage emerges in the fall or winter.

How do they know? Well, I believe in God, and believe that He gave them that ability. To my knowledge, science has not explained the mechanics of it, but most likely will eventually. Maybe someone else here knows?

How they know, though, is less important to me than THAT they know. I rejoice at the bits of green that come up all around and promise that my least favorite season of the year will soon be over....

I, too, would suggest you plant those babies pretty soon in your zone....

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 10:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Yes - don't worry, just get them planted. My February Gold are already showing above the soil. It's not unusual with many varieties. They will come to no harm.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 3:21PM
More Discussions
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
daves10z7annv
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Sponsored Products
25-Inch Tiffany Jonquil Table Lamp
$468.00 | Bellacor
Jane Seymour Mini Narcissus 9H in. Silk Floral Arrangement - Set of 2 - P5316-YL
$55.00 | Hayneedle
Seda France Toile Petite Ceramic Candle
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Furniture of America Narcissus Black Iron Outdoor Bench
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™