Okay, here's a 'weird' question....

carrie630(z7bNC)October 25, 2009

I have lots of bulbs planted on my land - daffs, crocuses, etc... but this year, I am changing a few borders and don't know exactly where I want to put new bulbs.

So... I was thinking - Could I plant bulbs in a holding bed and as they emerge in spring - carefully dig them out and place them where I want?

I have moved bulbs before - but not sure if some move better than others (I've moved daffs, crocuses)

Thanks

Carrie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You could do so but it may be easier and less taxing on the bulbs as they begin to emerge to pot them up and sink the pots in the holding bed for winter storage. You do run the risk of unnecessarily disturbing the bulbs during the transplanting process and that can cause them to sulk and abort bloom. This is far less of a risk when the bulbs have been potted and the entire rootball can be transferred easily. Many growers now offer bulbs for sale in this manner each spring......for those who neglected to plant in fall or for those who desire instant gratification :-)

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 10:44AM
carrie630(z7bNC)

gardengal - I'm confused: Maybe I didn't word this right - Okay, here goes again:

I buy the bulbs in November, and I plant the bulbs in the holding bed... then when Feb/March comes, they emerge and I move them to where I want them permanently. Is that much clearer? Thanks

PS - your answer may be the same, but it confused me when you said: "as they begin to emerge to pot them up and sink the pots in the holding bed for winter storage."

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 12:09PM
gardengal48

Sorry, I understood your question perfectly but didn't answer equally as clearly. What I meant was to pot them up now as bulbs and sink the pots into the storage bed. This method tends to be less taxing on the plants than attempting to move them intact and without damage in spring, when they begin to emerge.

Hope that's less confusing :-)

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 1:33PM
carrie630(z7bNC)

Thanks so much - I kind of thought that's what you meant, but glad you repeated the directions. Sounds like a terrific idea - may try that - thanks so much :0)

Carrie

Bookmark   October 25, 2009 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
daves10z7annv
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | 12V 300W Mini Surface Mounted Electronic Transformer for TECH Li
$321.60 | YLighting
Genesis Roan Timber Mini Pendant
$72.95 | Bellacor
Modway Plastic Entangled Bar Stool
Overstock.com
Makam Oushak Rug 9' x 12' - LIGHT BLUE/RUST
$6,029.00 | Horchow
Fire Magic 3281 Built-In Double Side Burner - 3281
$861.05 | Hayneedle
Authentic Models MF047 Casablanca Bar Red
Beyond Stores
Fitzgerald Leather Chair - Brighton Breeze Green