Taro ????

stanc(5)October 10, 2009

I have 6 huge leaf elephant ears that I planted in the ground this spring(april).

Wait back up some !!!

In september 2008 I purchased some elephant ears that were in pots from a rosd side stand. The leaves were huge about 3 feet across ,I took them home and kept them outside in the pots until the frost set in ,then cut them back and over wintered the pots in the basement.

Well I got a brain storm to plant them in the ground this spring.

When I took them out of the pots to plant in the ground they did not look like typical elephant ear bulbs,you know big round and dark brown (like you get from Home Depot).

The bulbs,tubers looked long fat and brown.

They did vey well this year and grew like crazy and must have mutliplyed.

When I dug them out today the bulbs,tubers ,split, branched off, sent out off sets, don't know what but they look kind of like canna rizones on steroids

They still look long, fat but white with a great root system.

They were very easy to split and how I have about 50 of thesse long fat things about 3" wide and 6" long.

I washed them off and will cut back most of the greem parts,dry and store like my cannas.

But are thesse elephants ears of taro or what ??

Thanks

Stanc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

It sounds like you may have Taro or Calocasia esculenta commonly called elephant ears. I am surprised at the description of the shape of the roots which are usually a tangled mass, not three inches by six inches. Here in our climate the roots do not frost so I never dig them unless I want to divide or move them. Al

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 9:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Yes. There are actually at least three kinds of plants called "elephant ears". I believe Alocasias (Ape) are the ones with the big fat brown bulbs. Their leaves are lifted high and more or less parallel to the sky. Colocasias (Taro) have the (running) roots you speak of. Their leaves are held more or less parallel to their stalks. Here in the deep south very very many of them are incredibly (INCREDIBLY) invasive, and can take years of dedicated digging to obliterate. Sounds like that's the kind you have. On the other hand, it's possible that you have a form of Xanthosoma, which is also invasive, though far less common. Its young leaves often have a whitish powder on them. The selection called Lime Zinger is the most common one commercially, but there are others.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™