Bulk Tulips

ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)October 15, 2011

I would like to purchase about 5000 tulips but I don't want to spend a fortune. Do any of you know where I can buy bulk tulips at reasonable prices?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

At the beginning of November Van Engelen has a sale, I think bulbs are half price then. (A potential problem is that they might have already sold out of the ones you want).

Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 7:14PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Even getting tulips at 'reasonable' prices is going to be a fairly expensive endeavor.

Is this for some sort of a special function next spring? Are you wanting and needing the tulips to return and bloom in later years? If it is a one time shot then about any inexpensive tulips should be fine, as any and all of them should give a good display the first season, providing the bulbs are big and mature enough. Most tulips or tulip mixes are more like annuals than they are perennial.

If you are wanting the tulip display to last for several years I'd suggest either the Darwin Hybrids, or else Specie Tulips as they should reliably return and even multiply for years.

Colorblends has the Darwin Hybrids for less than $300 for 1000 bulbs, which in my opinion is reasonable.

Below is a link to Specie tulips, many/most of which are great for naturalizing. They are priced about the same as the perennial Darwins shown at the link above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Species Tulips-johnscheepers.com

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 8:48AM
calistoga_al

Two years ago Costco had crates of tulips, 1500 bulbs, good bulbs at very good prices they were not able to sell here. They may offer them in areas with enough native cooling, and if so I would consider them. I buy 200 every year and have measured them, most over 14 cm. Each bulb costs about $.25 Al

Bookmark   October 17, 2011 at 8:33AM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am working on a project and need the tulips to come back year after year. I think I will see if I can catch the sale Van Engelen puts on in Nov.

If I wait until November will I have to store them in the fridge or will I still be able to plant them that late in the season as long as the ground is not frozen and I can still dig?

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 8:31PM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

I checked my notes from last year, the Van Engelen sale is 40% off, not 50%.
Ruth

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 9:48PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

If I wait until November will I have to store them in the fridge or will I still be able to plant them that late in the season as long as the ground is not frozen and I can still dig?
You wouldn't have to store them in a fridge, but I'm not sure if that might be too late to plant in your zone. Late Nov is kinda iffy for frozen soil and planting here in my zone 5/6.

Keep in mind that if you want to be assured they will bloom in following years that you will need to get the more perennial ones (Darwins or Species), or you will be very disappointed in 2013.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™