bulbs in raised beds?

sunnysideuphill(5)October 15, 2011

Hello all,

I have purchased 70 tulip bulbs, in 7 varieties, early/mid/late. Most of them are for cutting. Can I plant them in the raised vegetable beds? They would be done flowering before the tender tomatoes etc would go in. I have heard that they might not have enough protection from the frost/thaw cycle, but that hasn't seemed to affect the fall planted garlic.

My other option for the late ones would be under a huge POlareis rose bush by the driveway - there is usually snow piled there that doesn't really melt until April.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I have heard that they might not have enough protection from the frost/thaw cycle,
If you plant them at the suggested depth for the size and variety of the bulb, they should be just fine. Heaving from the freeze/thaw cycles in colder zones like ours doesn't come into play for bulbs that are 'buried' down in the soil. It is more likely to happen to plants that are small, or shallowly planted, or planted very late in the season. Example, bearded irises will heave out if planted too late and they don't have enough time to root in before the ground actually freezes.

I did actually have some daffodil bulbs heave out of the soil last winter though. I was hurrying to get the last of them planted and in my haste, some of them were planted too shallow. Some survived it and others didn't as the soil was not well draining, thus they rotted.

Your tulips should be beautiful.

Sue

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 9:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I'm going to second what Sue said. Your tulips will be beautiful. I grow most of my tulips in raised beds in the veggie garden....

Watch out if you're planting by the driveway, if it's a spot where the snow gets dumped and there's a late snowstorm, the already growing tulips may be crushed by a load of heavy slush and snow.

enjoy,
Frank
(not an expert)

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Need daffodil bulb advice in NC
Got 100 daffodil bulbs, planted a month ago.In S W...
missdeborahp
tulips not growing properly
i planted many many tulips for a client in a raised...
bernadettehinds
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Sponsored Products
Lagoon Oasis Twin Duvet Cover Bed Set
$338.03 | Bellacor
CAP Barbell 150 lb. Hex Dumbbell Set with Rack - SDGS-150R
$261.52 | Hayneedle
Windpointe Oil Rubbed Bronze 52-Inch Ceiling Fan with Walnut Raised Blades
$398.00 | Bellacor
Soho Pet Feeder
$249.00 | FRONTGATE
Catnapper Champion Power Lift Lounger Recliner - 4826 1700-40
$719.00 | Hayneedle