FAQ #2 Allium-looking for input

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)October 27, 2010

I see no reason to go into any great detail about alliums here in our FAQ since there is an actual Allium Forum, but think they should be included (with link to The Allium Forum) since so many allium questions are asked here.(169 threads)

2--Allium

Plants of the genus Allium include garlic, leeks, onions, scallions, shallots, as well as numerous flowering bulbs that are grown for their showy blooms. For further information or questions, please see The Allium Forum, (and insert link to the Allium Forum until the Allium FAQ are completed.)

Ok...critique please...spelling, grammar, punctuation, better wording...anything that comes to mind. This is just the first draft.

tia,

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

I suspect the reason so many questions are asked here is because the allium forum is largely dedicated to the garlic, onion etc...type of allium and the ones here are interested in growing the allium as an ornamental.

kay

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 2:42PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I suspect the reason so many questions are asked here is because the allium forum is largely dedicated to the garlic, onion etc.

I suspect you are right. I'll ask that the FAQ editor at The Allium Forum (if anyone volunteers) please include some info on Ornamental Allium in their FAQ. As always we can and will continue to help folks with allium questions here, as best as we can, but might also let them know there is an Allium Forum where they might find further information of interest.

Sue

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 3:43PM
luvahydrangea(Albany, NY 5)

The allium forum is not a good place to discuss ornamental alliums. As Kay said, its all about garlic and edible alliums there. I grow mostly ornamental alliums but I also grow heirloom garlic. I would go to the allium forum for advice on my garlic but not on my ornamental alliums. Typically, people who grow edible varieties are not interested in ornamental varieties.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 7:32AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Well I asked at Alliums that Ornamental Alliums be included in their FAQ. Hopefully someone will volunteer to be the editor.

The number of questions fielded for allium or flowering allium asked here at Bulbs is small compared to the search results found over there.

Search on allium here---171 threads
search on Ornamental allium here-13 threads

Search at Alliums on Allium-1,720 threads
Search at Alliums on Ornamental Alliums-63

Even though there is an actual Lily Forum, questions are often asked here about lilies, and get help here. We can still field questions here on alliums, lilies, amaryllis, etc, that would maybe be better addressed on other more 'plant specific' forums.

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
daves10z7annv
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™