how to work with Glads that survive a zone 5 winter

dcrosby(5MA)October 6, 2009

Dear garden folk

I know that you should wait until the leaves on the bulbs turns brown and then top them off. But what about glads? Since they're not supposed to be hardy here i'm not sure how to treat them. The stalks are still green and healthy. Do i cut the healthy stalks down or...what?

Thanks!!

Dale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Wait until they turn brown then dug them up and removed the tops at that time and store in a dark dry cool location then re-plant them next spring. We use to dig them up and leave them on the ground to dry out completely before removing the tops and storing them away. We only put them into a bushel basket and placed them in our cellar for the winter.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 8:36PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Dale ~~ green leaves are still feeding the bulb for next year's bloom. Wait as long as you can before freezes to dig.

Replant as soon as possible (spring) to get them on a cycle where the foliage has begun to brown by October.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 10:38PM
hydrangeasnohio(6a)

I have had Glads for quite a few years now. I am in a zone 5b. Like the other people said I wait till they go brown to cut down. But mine survive the winter in the ground. They are on the south side of my house close to my foundation and they have done great! They also have mulc over them, but no more than anything else gets.

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 12:44PM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

They sure do take forever for their leaves to turn brown though!!! A few of mine are browning slightly, but the majority is still bright green...I want to move some to different locations, but I am still waiting.

I have about 200 glads planted. They are so beautiful even the common varieties. They make excellent cutflowers.

Danielle

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™