Butterfly Orchids (Gladiolus)

tkhooper(7)October 10, 2010

I left these bulbs in the ground and it snowed and now they won't bloom. My question is if I leave them in the ground is there a chance they will form baby bulbs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

I'm guessing you mean Acidanthera aka "Peacock Orchids" and not something in the genus Oncidium - showy epiphytic or lithophytic or terrestrial orchids... some of which are known as "Butterfly orchids"?

If you're in zone 8, any snow and cold probably doesn't last for any length of time. Acidanthera doesn't tolerate long periods of cold, but if the snow, etc. was sometime last winter, dig one or two up and see what's down there. They are late bloomers in any climate - here, well into late September before they start.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 4:51PM
tkhooper(7)

Peacock Orchids, yes. My mistake. Normally we don't get much snow but last winter it was storm after storm for weeks on end. I had cabin fever something awful. So what am I looking for when I pull them up?

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 7:57AM
duluthinbloomz4

I guess just to see if the corms looks "normal" - no rot from bad drainage or cold damage. Google the images for corms or gladiolus corms to see what a normal, healthy corm should look like. The look would be the same for regular glads or the acidanthera.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:46AM
tkhooper(7)

Thank you for the information. The leaves on mine are still green so I'll wait until they turn brown and then check them out when I lift them. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they are producing a new crom and babies. I've hear they are prolific.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™