What's this? (Gladiolus)

tkhooper(7)October 10, 2010

I should have snapped a picture before I put it in the ground. I never think of these things in time. Anyway while I was messing with the foundation bed I decided to dig up the glad that was buried under the ditch lily clump. I got it out and it was surrounded by little white nodules. It also had a baby bulb attached. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

The little white nodules are cormlets - plant them and in 3-4 growing seasons they'll reach blooming size. The "baby bulb" is the new glad corm which will sprout and flower next season. The old shriveled corm on the bottom could have been removed (usually with a quick twist of the wrist) as it is spent and useless. No harm if you didn't remove it though.

In your zone glads can be left in all year around. We, here in the colder climes, would have to dig, dry and store them. Or, be lazy like myself and buy a bag of new corms in the spring of any year I want to have them in the garden.

They're lovely; I've primarily grown them for cutting... a sturdy crystal vase with a spray of the grandifloras is dynamite on the fireplace hearth.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 4:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tkhooper(7)

Woohoo, I'm going to have a mass of red gladiolus in 4 years. That really pleases me. I have a red, orange, yellow theme going in my foundation beds and am slowly transplanting all of the purple irises that were there before. Those glads will definitely help fill in the bare spots when the time comes.

Thank you so much for the information.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™