Purple Sensation

Maryl zone 7aOctober 23, 2008

Can someone tell me when to plant these bulbs in my zone. On all my regular bulbs (dafs, tulips, crocus etc) I wait for the soil to cool down and that usually means about mid November or later. But this is in the onion family so can I plant them now even though we haven't even had a hard freeze yet? And also, does this plant spread by bulb offsets like the Drumstick Allium? I swear those little pea size bulbs are almost impossible to get rid of and I don't want this Purple Sensation to take over my garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mary_md7

MaryL, sorry you haven't had a response yet.

I put purple sensation in the ground this weekend, and I'm at the border of zones 7 and 6. I'd say I've planted them about four times over the years, and have never had a problem with them taking over.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 4:31PM
Maryl zone 7a

AFter I posted that question I looked at my notes from years ago when I had planted some different varieties of Alliums and I planted them in the fall about now just as you said. I DO appreciate you helping me though. I know I don't have anything exotic because I got the bulbs from Ace Hardware, so couldn't understand the lack of response here. I really thank you for easing my mind however about them being invasive. I was concerned about that a lot.
Maryl

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 7:54PM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

If you're worried about them reseeding, just clip the flower stem off at the base and discard. The flowers will get smaller the following year if allowed to go to seed, and eventually stop blooming, anyway. Deadheading will keep them strong longer.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 10:20AM
Maryl zone 7a

I knew not to let any bulb in the Allium family spread seed, but its good advice to be reminded of again. No, it's those darned tiny (smaller then a pea in some cases) bulblets that form all around the main bulb that spread faster then the Asian Flu. I like the Drumstick Allium, but had I known it would spread like it does I might have been more careful about where I planted it. As it is, I'm glad to hear that Purple Sensation does not have those tendencies. To be on the safe side I'm going to plant the bulbs in a buried pot I have in my border.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
daves10z7annv
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Hipeastrum papilio x H.Donau
After repeated and many unsuccessfull crossbreeding...
haweha
Sponsored Products
Wing Lounge Chair in Purple
$474.00 | LexMod
Purple Bijoux Floor Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Lorane Modern Purple Wool Loveseat
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Jos Teal Blue 5' x 8' Flatweave
Home Depot
Sapphire Right Chaise Sectional - Blue
Zuri Furniture