Will Gladiolas multiply eventually?

docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)October 6, 2012

I just dug up my first attempt at Gladiolas. They bloomed great, but every single one fell over, despite being planted close together to try to support each other. Anyway, most of the corms have 5 or 8 tiny cormlets attached to the new, mature corm. A few of them fell off during the digging process, but I saved them and threw them into the paper bag with the rest to dry. Does it make any sense to plant these babies, and if I do, how long before they might bloom. And, I assume I'll have to keep digging them up every year?

I'm probably not going to bother with the whole process. Does any one want some commercial gladiola corms in a mix of purple, lavender and white? I could ship them once they dry, or sooner to avoid freezing. Better yet, I could donate them to a neighbor and avoid the shipping cost.

I'm still curios about the viability of the baby corms. Happy gardening!

Martha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

In our climate where we don't dig glads for the winter they multiply to the point that they are weeded out as the small corms do grow without blooming for a couple of years. The blooming glads nearly always will fall over unless supported, but that is easily done in advance. Al

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:47AM
susanzone5(z5NY)

i find those little cormlets to be weedy when they return the next year. most glads in zone 5 succumb to freeze/thaw cycles and turn to mush, leaving one or two bulbs next spring that flower surrounded by a weedy lot of tiny stems on the cormlets. sometimes i hoe them off if i want to plant something else in that spot.

it takes years to develop flowers on these if they can make it through our iffy winters. i just buy new ones each year and plant them within a large hooped plant support that holds up the stems for flowering..

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 4:50PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

i find those little cormlets to be weedy when they return the next year. most glads in zone 5 succumb to freeze/thaw cycles and turn to mush, leaving one or two bulbs next spring that flower surrounded by a weedy lot of tiny stems on the cormlets. sometimes i hoe them off if i want to plant something else in that spot.

it takes years to develop flowers on these if they can make it through our iffy winters. i just buy new ones each year and plant them within a large hooped plant support that holds up the stems for flowering..

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™