Storing New Bulbs Prior to Planting

flower_addict88(7A NC)October 3, 2009

I bought some tulip bulbs locally a week or two ago. How should I be storing them until planting time in November?

I had them in my cabinets. I just checked on them and there was a orange/brown thick, sticky like ooze coming from some of them. Two were rotted and I threw those out.

I gently wiped down some of the others. All the other bulbs are firm and dont have any funny smells. They look like healthy bulbs.

How should I be storing them though?

What about storing Daffodil, Hyacinth (Oriental and Grape), and Crocus bulbs?

Thanks,

Danielle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

If you just bought the tulips that recently, I would definitely return them to the store for a refund. They should not be oozing yuck this soon regardless of where you store them! I'd have a hard time trusting the integrity of the others.

Assuming you get good tulip bulbs, it's best to put them in the coolest part of your fridge (NOT with fruit) for 8 to 10 weeks. Put them in and mark your calendar. Plant them then. Tulips need more winter chill than you can reliably give them.

As for the others, store them in a cool, dark, airy place: cellar, under a bed in an air conditioned room, etc .

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 3:33PM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

I bought the 4 bags of tulips from Wal Mart (all my others I bought from mail-order).

The selection at Wal Mart is already over half gone. The varities I bought were the most popular, and arent there anymore.

I dont have a basement or a cellar. I havent been really running my central air as it has been cool enough where I live to keep the windows open. It has been in the low 70's to mid/upper 60's during the day.

I guess I will keep them in my fridge until I plant them in November.

Danielle

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 4:04PM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

I put the bulbs in an interior closet, where it stays dark and cool.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 10:43PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

In another thread, it's stated that tulip bulbs do not need refrigerator chilling in your zone. The fridge is a good place to store them, but you don't need to keep them there for as long. It won't be long before you can plant them. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:02AM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

Yes, I recieved an e-mail back from my county co-op garden representative who said tulip bulbs do not need to be chilled where I live.

The tulips are in my fridge now for storage until planting time in November.

My tulips filled up both of my crisper drawers so the crocus, hyacinths, muscari, and daffodils had to go to the closet.

Thanks,
Danielle

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™