Bulb question

junebugapril(5)October 19, 2013

How late I can plant tulips and daffodils in my fairly cold garage in window boxes? I'm in Chicago. I want to put the window boxes out side on my balcony in spring.

Ideally I would plant the bulbs when the bulb companies have their big clearance sales. I've never bought bulbs online before. Do you know when the sales start or which companies are good to buy from?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

www.vanengelen.com has a sale in November, usually getting to 40% off if you wait long enough. They sell bulbs in large quantities.

www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com has a sale near Thanksgiving, can be up to 50% off.

There is less selection the longer you wait as companies sell out of many varieties.

How cold is your garage? My climate isn't cold enough for tulips so I have to put them in the refrigerator for 6-12 weeks (wide range, but it depends on who you listen to) before planting. So I'd imagine that if your garage is around refrigerator temperature that the same amount of time would be good.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 3:49PM

www.vanengelen.com has a sale in November, usually getting to 40% off if you wait long enough. They sell bulbs in large quantities.

www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com has a sale near Thanksgiving, can be up to 50% off.

There is less selection the longer you wait as companies sell out of many varieties.

How cold is your garage? My climate isn't cold enough for tulips so I have to put them in the refrigerator for 6-12 weeks (wide range, but it depends on who you listen to) before planting. So I'd imagine that if your garage is around refrigerator temperature that the same amount of time would be good.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 3:56PM

Sorry, didn't mean to post twice.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 3:57PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

In zone 5, if you want to plant very late e.g. late November, I would skip the narcissus family and just buy tulips. Narcissus need to be well rooted before the ground is frozen to survive the winter.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 7:23PM
junebugapril(5)

Aha, thank you! I did get a bunch of daffodils though. I am thinking of planting a lot of bulbs now and keeping them on my balcony floor outside until a hard freeze. Does that sound good? Then bring them inside? We get the first hard freeze in about two weeks. Since they are in window boxes and not protected, maybe I should just put them in the garage now? The garage is not that cold yet, maybe 50 or 50 degrees.

I don't know how cold it gets in the garage. I am thinking maybe 20 - 40 most of the winter.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 8:51PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

After potting up the bulbs, I would just put them all in your unheated garage for the winter. Remember to check them once in a while and water a little if the soil is bone dry.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 7:39PM
junebugapril(5)

Now I have another problem. ! I got most of the bulbs potted up and in the garage. But I left the rest of my bulbs out on the balcony. It rained last night. Temperatures are in the 60s. Should I bring the bulbs into the garage and hang them in mesh bags to dry?

I don't have enough containers to plant them all. Do I need to get them potted up right away? If so I have to buy more containers.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™