planting naked ladies

purnima(z9CA)October 15, 2010

Hi,

I got naked ladies bulbs a month ago to plant. Is it ok to plant it now? What depth and where should I plant it. I am in the bay area (Northern California).Thanks,

Purnima

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

There are at least 2 things I know of that are called Naked Ladies.

If they are Lycoris Squamigera, yes, they should be planted now. I have min planted with the top of the bulb about 1" below the soil surface.

They could also be Colchicum .

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 3:15PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Lycoris Radiata are also called naked ladies, as are Amaryllis belladonna. Therein is the trouble with common names. No matter. All of the above can be planted now. Plant them at a depth of approximately 3 times the height of the bulbs (from the ground level to the bottom of the bulb. The only one of these that might present a problem for you would be the amaryllis, which probably would come up and never bloom. However, it's unlikely that you have that one. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 10:28PM
calistoga_al

Here in northern California the naked ladies are almost sure to be Amaryllis Belladonna. Be sure to plant them where they get full sun or they may never bloom. Even if planted in the right place, they may not bloom for the first two or three years. Al

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:45AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

And if they are Amaryllis Belladonna, don't plant them deep. The top of the bulb can be at ground level. They hate to be moved, and like Al says, they may pout for a few years afterward.
Renee

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 12:48AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Oops! Overlooked the CA in your zone address. If you have the Amaryllis belladonna, listen to the california gardeners. They know what they are talking about.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 8:54PM
aimeekitty(9-10, SW 18)

all of mine rotted. :( I think I planted too deep, even though I followed directions. From now on, I'll plant way shallower. (clay, CA)

Bookmark   October 21, 2010 at 12:21PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Well, our OP hasn't been back, and isn't getting follow-up replies emailed to them, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway.

I have the Lycoris Squamigera, and in my zone and soil, they are quite happy being planted with the top of the bulb about 1" below the soil surface.

aimeekitty,

Sorry you lost yours.

Sue

Bookmark   October 22, 2010 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™