Lindneria clavata

bluebonsai101(6a PA)October 26, 2008

I got this bulb a couple of months ago from a South African import venture I organized and it thinks it is summer so it decided to grow and bloom.....not really what I had in mind, but what the heck!! This used to be in the genus Pseudogaltonia and according to some web sites it was maybe going to be lumped into Ornithogalum, but according to the guy I got it from who publishes in scientific journals on plant nomenclature it is now in the genus, Lindneria.

Here is the bulb....pretty massive:

Here is the flower spike last week:

And here it is today:

The flowers start out facing up and then droop before they open and then after they are done flowering they actually lift back up again which is weird.

There is only one pic of this on the internet that I could find and it is obviously not nearly as large a bulb given how many more flowers mine has. Could be my rarest bulb acquisition so I thought I'd share :o) Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

That's amazing. Great photography, too. I love that little drop of liquid on the right in the last picture. Is it fragrant?

Will you update the plant files on Dave's Garden with your info and photos? They have nothing on this plant, though it may be listed as something else, as you indicated.

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 11:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Glad you liked the pic......unfortunately no fragrance though.

No real clue about Dave's Garden to be honest other than I had to report someone to the people that run it because they had stolen one of my pics and claimed it as their own.....honestly, if you can not grow a plant or take a pic you should not be allowed to join those sites :o) Dan

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 2:44PM
More Discussions
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™