Blueberry Bush Care in Michigan

wmuav8tor(zone 5/6, Michigan)March 5, 2013

Hello,

I just bought 2 blueberry bushes, one regular and one pink lemonade one. I have 2 questions.

I am planting them in 4 gallon pots, it says the plants can be planted outside in March in my zone, so would it be safe to plant them and immediately move the pots outside even though its currently snowing or should I wait until it warms up a bit before I move them outside? If its safe to move them outside do I have to harden them off like you do when moving regular houseplants outside in the spring? Its supposed to be in the upper 30's next week.

Both plants have leaves on them but the instructions say to cut the branches back to half length before planting. If I do that all the current leaves will be cut off, should I really trim it back that far or should I leave it so that it keeps its currently open leaves?

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Just my .02. If they are hardy for your zone, they should do fine outside. I'm overwintering mine outdoors on the N side of the house in the shade. They've been frozen solid for 2 months. I have 2 Southern High Bush varieties that I am keeping in the garage. My Northern bushes have all lost their leaves anyway. I'm no expert, and have been only growing for a couple of years, but there are some much more experienced blueberry growers on the Fruits and Orchards forum. They will be able to answer all your questions better than I.

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 9:40PM
wmuav8tor(zone 5/6, Michigan)

Great, thanks for the reply :) I have them out in my patio tonight to see how they do. I have actually already re-posted this on that forum you suggested too ;) thanks again!

Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 11:14PM

Great, thanks for the reply :) I have them out in my patio tonight to see how they do. I have actually already re-posted this on that forum you suggested too ;) thanks again!

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 10:15AM

sorry about the double post, apparently I pressed refresh and it somehow reposted ;)

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 10:17AM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Why can't I grow vigna caracalla? Can you?
Hi Everyone I'm in z11 and took a while to get my hands...
rexedwardfairy
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™