Caladium Tubers

opheliathornvt zone 5October 12, 2010

I dug up my caladiums this afternoon. I've never had much luck with them, but this year, most of them sprouted and they were lovely all summer. The slugs even left them alone. The variety is Gingerland, and I think I got them at Costco. I used a spading fork to dig them up, as I do for my gladiolas, but the soil in this bed seems more compacted than in other areas of my garden, and I ended up breaking quite a few of the tubers until I switched to a hand trowel and had better luck. My question is whether the broken pieces are still any good, and if not, what people do to dig theirs up without ruining them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

If the pieces have an eye (a raised bump with a point on the tip), they should be alright, though small, next year. Was your ground extremely dry? Mine sure is right now. That may be why you had such a time getting them up. Personally, I dig caladiums with a shovel. I put it into the ground about six inches away from the outer stems of the clump, and cut a circle around the plant before I pry it out of the ground. If it's dry, it's not a bad idea to water the area well the night before you dig.

Spread your dug plants out on newspapers in a cool but frostfree, dark place for a few days. When the leaves and stems turn brown and dry, break them off and discard. Then put the corms into a cool, dark, airy place for the winter. I usually store them in a cardboard shoebox without a lid in my basement.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 4:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
opheliathornvt zone 5

Thank you so much for the response, donnabaskets. I'll store them this winter and be more careful next year

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™