Bulbs - in bloom last half of May?

NewbieBulbs(7)October 18, 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to plant a lot of flowers (tulips?) in our front yard, and want to know if I plant late blooming tulips, will it still be in bloom the last half of May. I'm thinking of holding my wedding ceremony at our home, and was hoping to have flowers greeting our guests. I don't necessary want all of them to bloom on a certain date, just that there's enough flowers to make the yard look beautiful. If not tulips, could you suggest other flowers that will work for my area?

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cynnagirl(8b)

Congrats on getting married NewbieBulbs! Late blooming tulips should be in bloom towards the end of May, in my experience Viridifloras tend to be around the longest (plus their colours are more intense towards the end of their stay).

Alliums are another that are around through May-June, there are some fantastic varieties, the giant purple rounds (purple sensation, gigantium, globemaster) and their white counterparts would certainly stand out. Also allium bulgaricum would (to me) be perfect at a wedding, as they look like little bells, I've mixed those in with christophii in the garden.

Hope this helps. :)

Bookmark   October 18, 2011 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™