growing zones for Triteleia/Brodiaea?

christinmk z5b eastern WAOctober 18, 2009

Hi guys! A friend bought me a package of Triteleia/Brodiaea 'Queen Fabiola' the other day. I have heard of Brodiaea before, but knew nothing whatsoever about them. I looked online, and half of the sites say they are hardy in my zone while others say they are tender and only grow in z7-9. Which is is? Anyone in my zone grow them?

Thanks in advance!

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I planted that particular Brodiaea many years ago. They are growing well in Chicago. In fact, I am adding 100 more of this Brodiaea in my garden this fall. Still have about 30 more to plant. So I am sure you can plant them in your garden without any problem.
Here's what it looks like in late spring-early summer:

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 10:31PM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

The Queen Fabiola is beautiful, and an excellent cut flower.
My absolute favorite vase arrangment this past summer included them. I had Lily "Conca D' Or'" paired with Gladiola "Jacksonville Gold", and then filled in with the Queen Fabiola. I love the look of the soft yellows with the periwinkle color. Plus, that lily bloom was huge measuring 8-10" across. I am thinking of buying more QF so that I have them for arrangments.

Danielle

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 12:33AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

-pitimppinai, you have been such a big help, thank you. I think I will plant them in one of my warmer micro-climate areas to be on the safe side. Yours are wonderful, nice pairing with the other plants. Is that a 'Vision Light Pink' Geranium you have with it?
Thanks again
CMK

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 1:31PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

You're welcome, christinmk. That is geranium lancastriense. It is really cute and a long bloomer.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 10:25PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I also have Brodiaea planted in my Zone 5 garden. I ordered it from Scheepers a few years ago, and did not notice at the time that their listing had it for Zone 6. I planted them anyway and so far they have all come back ItÂs maybe 3-4 years so far.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™