growing zones for Triteleia/Brodiaea?

christinmk z5b eastern WAOctober 18, 2009

Hi guys! A friend bought me a package of Triteleia/Brodiaea 'Queen Fabiola' the other day. I have heard of Brodiaea before, but knew nothing whatsoever about them. I looked online, and half of the sites say they are hardy in my zone while others say they are tender and only grow in z7-9. Which is is? Anyone in my zone grow them?

Thanks in advance!

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I planted that particular Brodiaea many years ago. They are growing well in Chicago. In fact, I am adding 100 more of this Brodiaea in my garden this fall. Still have about 30 more to plant. So I am sure you can plant them in your garden without any problem.
Here's what it looks like in late spring-early summer:

Bookmark   October 19, 2009 at 10:31PM
flower_addict88(7A NC)

The Queen Fabiola is beautiful, and an excellent cut flower.
My absolute favorite vase arrangment this past summer included them. I had Lily "Conca D' Or'" paired with Gladiola "Jacksonville Gold", and then filled in with the Queen Fabiola. I love the look of the soft yellows with the periwinkle color. Plus, that lily bloom was huge measuring 8-10" across. I am thinking of buying more QF so that I have them for arrangments.

Danielle

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 12:33AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

-pitimppinai, you have been such a big help, thank you. I think I will plant them in one of my warmer micro-climate areas to be on the safe side. Yours are wonderful, nice pairing with the other plants. Is that a 'Vision Light Pink' Geranium you have with it?
Thanks again
CMK

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 1:31PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

You're welcome, christinmk. That is geranium lancastriense. It is really cute and a long bloomer.

Bookmark   October 21, 2009 at 10:25PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I also have Brodiaea planted in my Zone 5 garden. I ordered it from Scheepers a few years ago, and did not notice at the time that their listing had it for Zone 6. I planted them anyway and so far they have all come back ItÂs maybe 3-4 years so far.

Bookmark   November 8, 2009 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™