Soil for Container Gardening

melissaorozco6March 14, 2014

Hey everyone!

So I am planning a container gardening project for a class, but I am very inexperienced and was hoping to get some help. My group and I have been doing research and on many websites it says that we need to use soilless soil for better airing. Is this the same as Potting Mix?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Yes and no. In a broad sense, "soilless" means doesn't contain any of the dirt/soil you dig up out of your backyard. You definitely don't want to use any of that stuff.

That said, a very heavy, peaty, small particle "soilless" potting mix that you can buy pre-bagged from walmart isn't much better.

Short of building your own, my suggestion is to go to a dedicatedplant nursery, tell them what you need and hopefully they'll have a bag made specifically for containers composed of bark, peat, perlite and maybe a little compost.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 8:01PM
containerfellow

Have you seen any bags if LGM All-purpose Potting Soil? That works.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:13AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Possibilities are quite few:
Big Box stores and nurseries are loaded with POTTING SOIL(mix). Miracle Grow has several kinds, Viagro .. and many more. Most of those are PEAT MOSS based with some perlite and may contain some UNKNOW ingredients, as they do not publish what is in it.

Now that you are here check out and read all about 5.1.1 potting mix. In a nutshell, it is a bark-based medium ( 70% bark fine), as introduced by AL(tapla). With this one, it can get pretty much involved, b/c you have to mix your own.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
511 mix
I'm having a hard time understanding the 511 mix.I...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Container garden help wanted, re: corn
I am wanting to try something new with my container...
klo12
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™