55 gal drums

woohoomanMarch 14, 2013

Anybody use these by cutting in half and making 2 large containers? How do they hold up to the sun and 25 gallons of medium? How many years can I expect them to last in the inland coastal "desert" that is SoCal?

Thanks

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

I'm using them right now. Bought three 55 gal blue food grade drums last year, and cut them in half. Am using 2 halfs now, each with 25 gal of mix. Will fill remaining 4 halfs this year. Only first year using them, but they seem like they'll hold up great. Got mine for $10 each. Can't beat a 30 gal container for 5 bucks!! They look pretty good too.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 9:22PM
woohooman

edweather:

Nice price! I know were on different sides of U.S., but where did you get yours? Maybe you can give me some ideas on where to search locally.

Thanks

Kevin

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 10:25PM

I put an add on Craig's list that I was looking for them. A guy that works for a car dealership takes home all the drums that had liquid soap in them for car detailing. All I had to do was wash them. I also saw some at a local car detailers shop. They also make white ones. They might be better for exterme heat and sun

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 2:40PM
woohooman

Thanks edweather. I might try that myself. What did you use to cut them? Sawzall?

I can't believe there aren't more posters on GW that haven't used these drums. Especially with the prices of true planting containers. Sure, 5 gal home depot buckets for 3 bucks are fine, but they break so easily.

Kevin

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 2:42PM

I'm sure there are many methods that would work to cut them. A plain old crosscut saw rips through them easily, and it's easy to control as I worked my way around.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 3:57PM
pattypan(z6b CT)

since i use these half drums for root veggies, i've always bought food grade ones. they are partially buried, with many 1/4" and 5/8" holes for drainage and worms only. some are 3 years old here in Ct. and have no sign of deteriorating. i don't know what constant sunshine would do ! (they make great rain barrels too.) no sign of vole damage. i like the 30 gal. because i can tip over the half drums and spill out potatoes and sweet potatoes. not pretty, but useful.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
RE: Brush Cherry ( Josh? )
Hi Josh, I thought I would get this off of Al's thread...
halocline
Affordable but Good Looking Containers?
I have a few areas of my garden that are just container...
kjmm1
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Window box
I live in NJ and every spring we plant flowers in a...
hoganjr
Sponsored Products
Fambuena | Ossy 55 Pendant Light
YLighting
Loll Cube Birdhouse - Loll Designs
$79.00 | HORNE
Van Teal Every Week Turquoise And Chrome Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Aquatica Atlantica Freestanding AquaStone Bathtub - White
Modern Bathroom
Oliver Gal 'Fire in your new shoes' Canvas Art
Overstock.com