Help with chicago balcony garden design - newbie

cramya80March 18, 2014

I have a small north facing balcony in the nw suburbs y in zone 5 a and have been trying to grow plants last 3 yrs but not very successful, finally i am able to get tomatoes to grow in the 10 gallon pot in the pic, i have this nice size planter where i would like to grow 2-3 varieties of vegetables,I tried beans, strawberry,pepper, they grew ok but gave a very small yield last summer like 10 may be.
I need help in following areas
1) which plants can i combine both for display of flowers and vegetables
2) can i use a trash bag liner iwth holes for the planter box , why is the planter box always dry during summer , i am watering everyday and also change miracle gro mix every yr
3) what plants to use in hanging planters and on the rails, other than petunias? i combined petunia and strawberry, no sign of strawberries last yr but petunia grew well.
4) how many plants can be combined in hanging planters or window boxes and large planters?

I am very bad at planning, i buy plants at sale and ones that will grow well and needs less care and try to combine 3-4 plants in one container, why are my plants not growing at all ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ariel7576(7b)

I have nothing to add. I'm just bumping this up in hopes that someone will have something substantive to help.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™